Gynecomastia Surgery For Men
Women often come immediately to mind once we think about plastic surgery. However, numerous men are self-conscious about their appearance, and none much more than men who feel that their breasts are big. These guys may feel like their total lifestyle is restricted, especially when they go to warmer climate and or are on a vacation where they want to swim, surf or sunbathe. Having woman-like breasts usually becomes a self-image situation and can affect a male’s self-confidence. Generally, male breast reduction surgery can significantly alter a man’s self-image as well as reduce feelings of anxiety when they take their shirt off.
What Can You Do About Gynecomastia?
Cosmetic surgery provides several solutions to those suffering from gynecomastia. The treatment of gynecomastia has changed a good deal in the past several years. Before, surgical removal of the extra tissue was the standard, now, many guys are treated with outstanding results and have virtually no scarring because of the advanced liposuction techniques used, which reflect better on the contours of the skin as well as the contours of the chest wall. Gynecomastia is a very serious issue that impacts both the young and old, therefore it is amazing that there’s a cosmetic surgical procedure available that will drastically change these people’s lives.
What Is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a condition when a man’s breast become overdeveloped or enlarged. It can happen at any age, but not limited to the following: hormonal changes, heredity, obesity, and drug use. Gynecomastia can impair an individual’s self-confidence as well as cause discomfort and emotional strain. At times, gynecomastia can even prevent some men from enjoying certain physical activities as well as intimate situations to hide their condition.
What Is Male Breast Reduction?
To correct gynecomastia, the technical term is called reduction mammaplasty which reduces breast size, flattens and enhances the contours of the chest; in some cases, the weights of excess breast tissue may cause the breasts to sag and stretch the areola. In these cases, the position and size of the areola can be surgically improved upon.
You might think gynecomastia is a rare condition by the name alone. It’s extremely common among men of all ages. Here’s some facts you should know:
- It can be excess localized fat
- It can be excess glandular tissue development
- It can be excess breast skin
- 40–60% of men are affected by some level of gynecomastia according the American Society Of Plastic Surgeons
- It can occur after puberty and with excessive weight gain
More About Your Surgical Treatment Options
When using liposuction, treatment for gynecomastia can be very simple. A small incision is made under each breast where excess breast tissue and fat is suctioned from under the skin. If a larger procedure is required, then an incision on the chest wall will be made as well.
Is Gynecomastia Surgery Right For Me?
- You are physically healthy and of relatively normal weight
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breast development has stabilized
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too large
Adolescents may benefit from surgery, although secondary procedures may be needed in the future should breast development continue.
Gynecomastia is best performed on:
- Men whose condition cannot be corrected through alternative medical treatments
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions can impair healing
- Non-smokers and no drug users
- Men with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for improving the physical symptoms of gynecomastia
If you are a healthy male who is close to their ideal weight, then this is a good option for you. Any male who is taking illegal drugs as well as steroids is not a good candidate for this type of surgery.
What’s Involved in Your Procedure?
During your consultation, be prepared to discuss the following:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and recreational drug use (including steroids)
- Previous surgeries
Your Surgeon May Also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Perform diagnostic testing to determine the underlying cause of gynecomastia
- Examine your breasts and may take detailed measurements of their size and shape, skin quality, and placement of your nipples and areolas
- Take photographs for your medical records
- Discuss your options
- Recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of gynecomastia correction and any risks or potential complications
- Discuss the use of anesthesia during your procedure
Prior To Surgery You May Be Asked To:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Stop smoking
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
The overall success and safety of your surgery largely depends on how open you are during your consultation. The surgery is performed under general anesthesia in an operating room. Recovery can vary depending on the type of surgery you are having done, which will all be explained to you prior to.
Typical Recovery Times After Gynecomastia Surgery:
Usually a patient can resume normal activities within a week or two after the surgery. Any kind of heavy lifting should be delayed for a bout 4-6 weeks. It is also important to avoid the sun as sunlight can permanently affect the skin’s pigmentation and cause it to darken.
Choosing a Surgeon for Your Male Breast Reduction
While at your consultation, speak to Dr. Hardaway about your specific goals and expectations. By discussing your specific surgical expectations, Dr. Hardaway will be able to tell you what they she thinks can be realistically achieved.
In summary, here’s what to look for and what you’ll find at Aesthetic Plastic Surgery & Laser Center:
- Meet personally in consultation with Dr. Michelle Hardaway, an experienced board certified plastic surgeon
- At the consultation have an examination and discuss your desires and expectations and the specifics of the recommended procedure
- Receive information and materials that help you in the decision-making process
- See before and after pictures of real patients